Tuesday, November 25, 2008

A Thanksgiving Happy

That's a lot of green beans.
The Thanksgiving prep work has begun.

How did the lady at the commissary yesterday know that I had just ended one of my most unpleasant grocery store trips ever?

I had one full grocery cart. Sally was fussy, needing to eat. Drew was whining for everything in sight.

I left the cart up front so we could take a feeding/time-to-regroup break in the van.

Once there, I realized I didn't have my phone.

Thought it was in the cart with all my groceries.

No.

Oh ya... I dropped it.

Wasn't where I dropped it.

It was at customer service. Phew.

But Sally was still fussy (hadn't eaten yet).

Back to the van.

Got ourselves together...Then back in and just got a 2nd cart...made it through the rest of the store and was checking out both carts with about nothing left in me.

The lady behind me was super nice & patient, not giving me mean looks for my tons of stuff (18 people is a lot to feed) and I was grateful.

Back at the van I handed the guy that bagged groceries his tip (they work for tips only and give you the evil eye if you want to take your own groceries out and avoid the tip) .

It was a bigger tip than normal with my bigger load than normal.

So I was confused when he wouldn't take the money.

Confused.

Then he explained the lady in line behind me had already paid him.

So, so nice.

But really, how did she know?

12 comments:

Malissa said...

That is a great thanksgiving story!! I love hearing good deeds taking place! Don't forget to pay it forward!

Jessica Crozier said...

That is such a great story! I love hearing those kind of stories. And kudos to you for feeding 18 people...brave girl!! Happy Thanksgiving!

Lindsay Riggs said...

Wow, that is a lot of people to feed. Hopefully you're not the only one doing the cooking!

ann said...

Traumatizing, yet sweet!
So glad someone put a happy ending on your shopping trip from hell!

Steph said...

I'm glad you posted this story. We need more happy "pay-it-forward" stories these days! Happy Thanksgiving!

Cher said...

Oh, I feel your pain, Jocey and Dallin were fighting while I was paying for my stuff at Target yesterday, Screaming, pulling, kicking...ya, I was a little embarrassed, I just gave them the evil eye and then reprimanded them in the car. Yours seems pretty dramatic. We can't wait. Oh and potatoes and rolls doesn't seem like enough, what else can we bring? We can't wait!

Krissie said...

The Thanksgiving pain, at least they didn't have a box sale with it! And what a nice lady behind you paying for your bagging! And what a honest bagger not taking you tip! It truly is Thanksgiving! Love you and hope you have a great day tomorrow!

Sara Hollobaugh said...

That is such a good story. It is nice to know that people are stil charitable and kind. Makes me think that I need to be more kind and giving. Even though things are tight we are much better off than many other people:) I hope things are better now that you are home and the baby is fed!!

Sarah said...

So cute! My eyes have tears.

Rochel said...

Man what a sweet story! Not the frustration part obviously, but the fact that the lady did that! Such a reminder that we should keep our eyes open for people who may be struggling in some way and give them a smile, or helping hand. Kudos to you girl! I fed 8 and that seemed like a lot to me, so 18!!!! WHEW!

Aric and Sally said...

Really nice lady, but I'm still trying to get over the "feeding 18 people" part. Impressive.

Anonymous said...

Okay, that's the nicest story. I bet that made it all easier to deal with.