Wednesday, November 11, 2009

The Ball

After 6 years in the military we went to our first
Marine Corps Ball last night.

Just so happened to be on our anniversary (#9).

How nice of them to throw us a party!

It was memorable for sure.

Pretty much everything was bad.

But so bad it was funny.

The music...
was like a Saturday night dance from 1995:
The Macarena
(which the DJ was way into and scratching on his little records),
Shaggy, The Electric Slide...etc.

The food...
oh man.
Whoever bought us our tickets put us both down for beef.
It came out this huge nasty slab that was half fat.
So I asked if I could switch for chicken.
They were nice and brought me that...not sure if it was better.
It was a brown hunk filled w/rubbery mushroom stuff.
But by then it was 9 and we were starving so we ate anyway.

Our table...
We were the only ones not drinking.
Some people were very funny and some were offensive.

The ceremony...
That was the part I was most looking forward to.
I was so bummed we had to watch it from the foyer.
I had to leave for a minute to compose myself after talking to the offensive drunk guy and went out at the exact wrong time before it started and we weren't allowed back in until it was over.
We did get to see first-hand the guy who passed out
during the ceremony (a combination of drinking
and standing still too long w/his knees buckled).
He got taken away in an ambulance.

I did love the venue...
it was at a historic hotel at Naval Postgraduate School.

And my date.

Happy Anniversary, Marine Corps Birthday, and Veteran's Day!

19 comments:

Shannon said...

woo hoo shauna, those are some sexy heels!

Lindsay Riggs said...

At least you looked cute!

Jessica said...

You guys look so cute. I LOVE the shoes!!!

Jessica said...

You guys look so cute. I LOVE the shoes!!!

Dasha said...

First of all, let me just say, your shoes rock along with those pretty toe nails! Stuart's been in the military for 8 years and the only balls we ever went to were the mandatory ones when he did his stint in the guard. In Utah of all places, so there wasn't any drinking. I guess there could have been, it's up to the commander. Anyway, that's the main reason we have never gone to a Navy one. Stuart is not keen on the idea of being around a bunch of drunks, because apparently the Navy gets crazy. I have a friend who's never missed one and according to her he's spot on. It would be fun to get all dolled up though and go to a "ball." Glad you had a memorable experience.

Krissie said...

You look SO HOT! I'm glad you finally experienced, the marine corps ball. This year I opted out of it, even though David is going. I hope you had a good time though.

Sarah said...

Let me know if you want to have anouther night out to go eat better food, I'll watch the kids for you.

Rachel said...

my sister is cute :)

Joanna & Ben said...

gross, the food always stinks at military things. The steak (if that's what it is) is always nasty. It sounds like it was an eventful night. Happy anniversary anyway, and I love the shoes...I can't do heels but they are super cute.

Jaime said...

I always thought it would be fun to go to a ball...

You look beautiful.

Happy Anniversary!

Nic said...

Lovin' those heels girl! What a great photo, did you set a timer for that??? Hopefully the after-party made up for the lameness of the ball ;)

Sara Hollobaugh said...

I guess you wont forget it. And that is one of my favorite pictures EVER! You should enter it ina contest or something!!

KatieJ said...

Well at least your feet looked really pretty! Bad food is the worst though! I want to see the rest of you!

Steph said...

Okay.
Love the heels.
Bye.

Steph said...

Oh yes,
and did the offensive marine make you cry? Is that why you had to compose yourself? And you are such a tease! Srsly that last pic? You couldn't post a full pic of your beautiful self in your beautiful dress??? At least send a pic to me. Happy anniversaries!!!

Ashley said...

That is neat that you got to go to a ball sorry it was not better.

brentanderrin said...

sexy! love the shoes! and i want to see a full body shot on you two... happy anniversary!

Shane Meredith Mason and Kendall said...

sounds fun, but really, nothing is going to top the Anesthesia...so can you just start posting more about that? go get him high..do you want you have to do... :)

Scott & Liesel said...

The shoe picture!!!!!!! Love that.