Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Oatmeal Obsessed


I've been eating mueslix most every morning for awhile.
Then last week Errin introduced me to the oatmeal at Jamba Juice.
It made me remember how delicious hot oatmeal is.
And how I've been wanting to make it in my slow cooker for like 5 years.
So last night I did.

I liked it a lot.
It's perfect for Owen, who wants to eat the second he wakes up.

If I had cooked it in soy milk and topped it with a brown sugar crumble,
it would've been just like Jamba's.

I combined all this in my crock pot:
1 1/2 cups steel cut oats
7 cups water (next time I'm using soy milk*)
*post edit: cooking in soy milk is gross; add soy milk after it's been cooked in water

2 tablespoons butter
a couple pinches salt

Then cooked on low overnight.
And stirred in brown sugar and milk this morning.

8 comments:

Steph said...

YUM!
Way to go!

Lindsay Riggs said...

Sounds so good! I will try this! I've been making oatmeal on the stove all the time for the past couple of weeks...it'd be nice if it was done when I got up.

Jessica Crozier said...

DEFINITELY trying this!! Can't wait!

Evaly said...

That looks so good and I've never thought of cooking it in a crockpot. I'm gonna try it- thanks for sharing :)

Anonymous said...

Where did you get the steel cut oats?

Anonymous said...

Where did you get the steel cut oats?

danna said...

Been wanting to cook it this way forever too, yet another reason to purchase a crock pot :)

danna said...

and nice bowl