Monday, September 14, 2009

Owen, Bartholomew, and Sal



One of my favorite gifts for newborn Owen was the book of his same name (that I didn't know existed) from Justin's aunt Jeane Ann.

She continued the book tradition for Drew & Sally.

But for Drew we couldn't find a book whose main character had his same name. So he got one of Jeane Ann's favorites...Bartholomew and the Oobleck. We like the book and really like that we don't have a son named Bartholomew. Now if I could get a batch of oobleck to turn out! Shouldn't be that hard with 2 ingredients.

I extra love Sally's book...I had never read this one either. I love that the girl goes by Sal and I really love the illustrations (and pretty much all of Robert McCloskey's).

But back to Drew...does anyone know of any children's book that has a main character named Drew? Or even a supporting character? Nancy Drew doesn't count.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love this! I already started reading Green Eggs and Ham to Sam! I keep my eyes open for a Drew book.

Lindsey said...

Hmmmm...how about the "Real Life Reader Biography of Drew Barrymore." That's actually considered a Juvenile book though, but I bet Drew would like her performence in her childhood film entitled ET.

I still laugh at the book you gave Sophie when she was in my womb, "When Sophie Gets Angry." Sophie still asks me why the character Sophie has fire coming out of her mouth.

Lindsay Riggs said...

I love Blueberries for Sal! I have a "video" of it that I used to watch when I was a kid. It's just the pictures from the book with a narrator.

Torgersons said...

Owen is getting that book for Christmas, for sure. I'm so glad you told me about it! The fact that it's a Calecott makes me even more excited. Blueberries for Sal is one of the cutest books of all times. I always use it in my speech therapy sessions with my little clients. I'll keep my eyes peeled for a Drew book. Nancy Drew is a pretty sweet series, though. You gotta admit.

Torgersons said...

I spelled Caldecott wrong. Oh well.

Shauna said...

Oh I love Nancy Drew! But I'm looking for a boy named Drew :) So...ya Lindsey no Drew Barrymore. Drew Carey, sure.

mle1777 said...

I don't know of a specific book with a Drew character, but what you can do is have one made. If you just type in "personalized children's books" into google, there are several links to have a book made with your son's name in it. Good luck.

P.S. I loved Oobleck! I remember playing with that when I was a kid!!

Ashley said...

YOu know she always told me about how she sent you books but I did not know thing about the names. That is cool.

amanda weichers said...

There is a book series that is called the Adventures of Drew and Ellie. I haven't read the books so I am not sure what they are about, but it might be worth looking into.

amanda weichers said...

Also there is the book Silly Sally by Audrey Wood.