Wednesday, June 03, 2009

Martha & Rachel

have given me some good recipes lately.

I'd make these all again.
Followed the recipe exactly except I could only find pork shoulder with the bone-in (which was a pain to work with). And I didn't add fresh cilantro at the end. I was nervous about the milk/orange juice combo but it was really good. The lime squeezed right on the meat in my carnita was the best part.

Chicken Fajita Tostadas

I didn't use fresh salsa but it'd be even better if you did
(or use semi-fresh like Costco's pico de gallo).

BBQ Chicken Burgers with Slaw

Recommended by Katie. Loved the slaw and I don't even like slaw.

The recipe I used for my fry bread was the traditional white bread recipe from my Betty Crocker cookbook:

6-7 Cups all-purpose flour
3 T sugar
1 T salt
2 T shortening
4 1/2 tsp salt
2 1/4 C very warm water (120-130 degrees)

1. Mix 3 1/2 cups of the flour, the sugar, salt, shortening and yeast in large bowl. Add warm water. Beat with electric mixer on low speed 1 minute, scraping bowl frequently. Beat on medium speed minute, scraping bowl frequently. Stir in enough remaining flour, cup at a time, to make dough easy to handle.

2. Turn dough onto lightly floured surface. Kned about 10 minutes or until smooth and elastic. Place in greased bowl and turn greased side up. Cover and let rise in warm place 40-60 minutes or until double.

From there I just rolled it out, cut it w/a pizza cutter and fried it in canola oil on medium-high. Then topped w/refried beans, cheese, lettuce, tomato or whatever else you want. Also it's so good sprinkled w/powdered sugar or coated w/honey.

You can fry any dough on the planet...I've tried Rhodes frozen bread dough, lots of different white doughs, and whole wheat dough. But the above recipe is my favorite.

4 comments:

KatieJ said...

I can eat those chicken burgers with slaw like salad even- no bun required! I'm going to have to try those other recipes- yum!

Ashley said...

wow Those all look so good.

Robyn Hollobaugh said...

Thanks for sharing! I am SOOOO hungry now!

Sara Hollobaugh said...

Looks so yummy but also like tons of work. How do you do it?? I have just one baby and dont have the time!