Sunday, July 20, 2008

Kid in a Candy Store

I LOVE seeing and exploring new places. We've barely made a dent but it's a start...


Lover's Point - 6/12

I think it was our first full day here.
We were driving along the 1 checking everything out.
I had heard about Lover's Point before we got here,
 but we didn't know that's where we were stopping when we did.
Just came across it by accident.











Natural Bridges State Park - 6/14

We met Chad & Cherisse's family here.
It was so pretty and so freezing.
It was our first tide-pooling experience and we were happy with any little anemone we found.


Dallin & Jocey are Owen & Drew's 2nd cousins.





6/19

Somewhere in-between Monterey and Big Sur off Highway 1 is this awesome beach.








Ripplewood Resort Cafe - 6/19


Julia Pfeiffer Burns State Park - 6/19



I would stay far away from this tree for along time if I were you.
It became an emergency bathroom for Owen.
A week after we were here there was a huge fire and the area was evacuated.



This is another part of Julia Pfeiffer Burns State Park.
There's a waterfall not pictured that falls right into the sand.
There was no beach access so it was just a big tease... 
show me this pretty beach but don't let me go on it.
The kids were wasted after the hike to the first waterfall,
so Justin and I took turns walking the short trail to see this one.




Oakland Temple - 6/21

Chad & Cherisse watched Owen & Drew while Justin & I took turns in the temple.


The view of San Francisco from the temple grounds.




Dennis the Menace Park - 6/17

I totally remember loving a fountain like this when I was a kid.



Downtown Farmer's Market - 6/24
The mother of all farmer's markets.

Monterey Bay Aquarium - 6/25

I was prepared to be disappointed by the aquarium after all the hype it's gotten but I so was not.

I am now an aquarium snob. This place is the best.
Only complaint - no puffer fish!

Somehow an old cannery boiler is a car to them.

7/1

Cannery Row - 6/25

Monterey is very proud of John Steinbeck and his book by the same name.

I liked having read it cause it gave me a sense of place.
(I stole that line from the area guide I read many times in the hotel)
But I wouldn't recommend the book unless you're going or have been to Monterey.

Lilly Mae's - 7/1

On Cannery Row.
I went here cause a) it looked good and b)it shared Lindsey's name.


Old Fisherman's Wharf - 6/26


Coast Guard Pier - 6/27

Justin had started work (aka school) by then so we picked him and had lunch here.

Couldn't eat too close to the stinky sea lions.

12 comments:

Aric and Sally said...

Wow, you guys have seen some cool places. Those beach photos are amazing. Sally is looking so old, and those eyes...she's a cute one.

So Justin, now that you know Arabic, how do you say, "you son of a motherless goat" in Arabic?

Rachel said...

i am so jealous of those beaches! it's so weird to think that there are actually places that pretty when growing up in arizona. i love their matching etnies! i love how cute of a family you guys are! and drew with his hood on is darling

Katie said...

Looks like so much fun - you are an adorable family! I won't comment on all of your posts but you all look like a "bloom where you're planted" bunch and I love it! (by the way - all natural...)

Jessica said...

It looks like you guys are having fun and will be having much more to come.

Everton Family said...

How fun to be in a new place and have so much to explore! Looks like a lot of fun! It's beautiful there!

Krissie said...

Looks like you are settling in well. Next summer we will be in town forsure! I can't wait to see you. Have lots of fun at the beaches for us...since New Mexico doesn't have one!

Phil and Stacie said...

Wow! You've been busy having fun! I'm so impressed at all you accomplish with three kids--I was never good with three. I totally remember a lion drinking fountain from growing up, too. Was it at a park in Tempe or something?

Da Ilaoa's said...

Why didn't you do all this instead of staying in a hotel all day? It looks like you have some fun places to go! I just hope that Kevin has enough time off so you can spend time with him.

Sherri said...

Love the pictures. :-) It's got to be quite the experience to have lived on both coasts of our nation. Good luck in school, Justin.

KatieJ said...

It is so fun to see all the stuff you've been doing and I have to say my summer totally sucks compared to yours! It looks like you've had so much fun! Sally is getting so big and she's so pretty!

KatieJ said...

PS- that lion fountain looks really familiar to me too- I wonder where one was?

Anonymous said...

Okay, I love your header, I love the pictures, I love the beaches, I love your beautiful little family. How do you do a cool header like that? I have a picture of me when I was little drinking out of a lion fountain like that, too.