Tuesday, June 24, 2008

101 Things to Do in a Hotel

Get ice in the bucket

Play at the playground

Watch movies (not TV cause there are no kids' channels, not even PBS!)

Fight over who gets to open the door from the inside (Owen & Drew)

Fight over who gets to open the door using the card from the outside (Owen & Drew)

Fight over who gets to do laundry (Justin & me... anything to get out of the room!)

Go to the pool (just discovered an indoor one with a kiddie area across the street)
6/23 - Sally's first swim

Take turns at the computer in the lobby (10 cents a minute is adding up!)

Walk to the mini mart

Get soda and treats from the vending machine


Wait... that's only 10 things.

We have been seeing a lot of cool stuff though so we don't go too stir crazy. And we got together w/my cousins Chad & Cherisse's family a couple times.

And the end of the hotel is in sight! The house near Justin's school SHOULD work out for us to rent (move-in date is July 3). I say SHOULD because what are the chances that the home owner is the dean of Justin's school? It's a base policy that deans can't rent to students (conflict of interest/could look as he's playing favorites) so we're in the process of getting a waiver signed to allow us to still rent his home.

Oh and we were so close to getting scammed in this whole house searching thing! We've been looking at Craig's List and I found a home that was awesome... newly remodeled, decent size, good neighborhood for less than anything else we could find and even included utilities. I was emailing the "home owner" back and forth for a few days... he was in China doing missionary work and was looking for someone to rent his home while he was away. There were so many fishy things and warning signs like he wanted me to Western Union him the deposit, THEN he'd courier the house keys to us at the hotel. He even called to ease my fears about me not meeting him or seeing the house. I wanted so bad for it to work out so I was ignoring warning signs. Luckily we drove by the house (a 2nd time with Justin... I was alone the first time) and a guy was working in the driveway. We pulled over to talk to him and found out this guy is a total scam. A few other families had driven by too and one had even sent him the money ($1500)! He's been reported to the police but they can't do anything about it cause he's in China and it's over over the Internet. SO glad we never sent the money.

18 comments:

Jessica Crozier said...

That would be so great if this house worked out for you...I hope the waiver gets signed. And 10 cents a minute for the Internet? Geez...I didn't know people still charged per minute. I hope the hotel days end soon for you...after 2 days in Raleigh we were going nuts...can't imagine 3 weeks!!

Phil and Stacie said...

Who knew opening a door was so important that you have to fight over it? Oh wait, I did because I have kids too! Glad you're surviving and we'll hope with you that this house works out.

Aric and Sally said...

Good luck with the house - I hope it works for you. And just remember, life could be worse - you could be stuck in a hotel in Jacksonville instead of Monterey!

Glad you didn't get scammed - you're a smart girl.

Bruce and Tiffany and kids said...

I will second Sally's opinion that it could be worse...We were in a hotel in Jacksonville for FIVE weeks. The kids even got to start their first days of a new school while we were still in the hotel. Ah, memories!!! I've been checking up on everybody through blogs. We don't necessarily miss Jacksonville, but we sure do miss the people.

Jessica said...

I’m glad you listened to the warning signs. I really hope that the house turns out for you . I can only imagine how miserable it is having 3 kids in a hotel room. Well the best of luck.

KatieJ said...

That is crazy about the scammer! I hope the other house works out though- you guys need a more permanent place! And I need to see more blog posts from you :)

Sara Hollobaugh said...

I guess the saying is true. Hopefully this other house works out. Maybe being homeless for a while will make wherever you live absolutely WONDERFUL because you will have all of your things and not be in a hotel anymore. 10cents a minute is crazy!! Here's hoping for JULY 3rd!

Katie said...

Yay for almost having a house and not being scammed for $1500! Seems like something could be done to that guy...

Brian and I went crazy in a hotel, I can't imagine trying to keep your boys happy too! I'm sure Sally is behaving though :) Glad to see your getting familiar with everything though - a good time to go check things out!

Nic said...

HILARIOUS!Brings back horrible memories of the hotel living that we had to endure a few years back! The WORST! I so know what you're going through....Hang in there :)

tamir said...

Would uncle sam pay for you to stay in extended stay hotel? I hears they can be very nice and will feed you one big meal a day. And you don't have to clean at all.

And so glad that you didn't fall into the China-man's scam. Why people even do that?

Everton Family said...

I loved your list of things to do in a hotel (kind of sounds like fun to me!)...I hope you find something soon. Good luck

Josh and Nat said...

Hey Shauna! I saw your blog from Tami's... so your in CA now? Going coast to coast.. anyway check out our blog sometime! See ya! Love Natalie (your cousin)

Nichole said...

I know how you feel we were in the hotel here for a month befor we got our house I was prego and the 3 older ones YUK... good luck hope it all works out for you guys. Bubba misses his Shauna!!!

Nichole said...

I know how you feel we were in the hotel here for a month befor we got our house I was prego and the 3 older ones YUK... good luck hope it all works out for you guys. Bubba misses his Shauna!!!

Jennifer Salmon said...

Hey shauna,

Your little girl is adorable. I haven't gotten to see her yet. I hope all is going well. Scott and I are in Michigan now and will be for five years. So, I will now get to venture out and be alone for a while. Any advice? Also, I hope you don't mind that I put your blog on mine.

Sarah's Nonsense said...

That's so scary! I hate when people try to be all tricky like that! Mean man in China! If I ever see him I'll hold him down until your husband can get him and beat him up. I'm sure it's due.

Rachel said...

since when has that darling picture of sally been there? i am in love with her swimsuit!

Steph said...

OMG, for reals!? The scammer. You alwasy see that type of stuff on 20/20. Good thing you had your "scam sensors" out.