Tuesday, October 30, 2007

The Puffer Post

Just a little obsession Owen has...

It all started when I noticed he would always turn to the page with the puffer fish in Drew's "First Words" book.

This lady from church has awesome kids and she encourages their brains by taking what they love and expanding on it... So I started expanding with You Tube!

Seriously puffer fish videos on You Tube replaced TV for at least 2 days. Some of his favorite videos:
Some little kid looking at a puffer
A puffer fish puffs up!

Then Brent heard about his obsession and took this picture from the market in Mexico. I told Owen it was dead and that made him sad so then all of a sudden he was alive! With one eye open and one eye shut (he thought this was a head-on view). He carried a print-out of this picture with him everywhere. He slept with it (plus 3 more taped up by his bed). He took it to preschool (and scared his teacher). Took it on the airplane! You get the picture.

When we got here Linus printed out this picture he took when he & Sara went scuba diving in Mexico. Owen carried this one around until it disintegrated.

What are the chances Target would have a puffer fish toy in the dollar spot? I should've bought the place out cause these are popped now and I can't find them anywhere!

When we visited Brent & Errin in Mexico Owen got to meet the preserved puffer fish in real life. Brent saw 2 while we were scuba diving. He, my dad, and Karen were so close to catching one.

Owen's birthday was Friday... he got a freshwater dwarf puffer! His name is Puffer the Puffer Fish.


And then Saturday was his puffer birthday party with our family...
You can't see in this picture but this is a Jell-O aquarium with a puffer fish swimming in it (Swedish Fish makes an Aqua Life candy mix w/puffer fish!).

The puffer pinata (it was an orange clownfish that my dad spray painted to be a puffer)

Uncie Der Der was the artist for "Pin the Lips on the Puffer Fish"


Janna (Tami's daughter) was the winner - hers is buried in there somewhere.

Puffer fishing (Emma & Abbey)

And my personal favorite (game) - the worm eating contest (you know cause puffers eat worms). Janna & Bob totally stuffed theirs all in at once but Briant won by eating one at a time.

My mom created this masterpiece of a puffer cake:




Just a LITTLE obsessed!

14 comments:

Krissie said...

Yay for Owen! I'm so happy that he got his Puffer the Puffy Fish. Now he will stop asking when he gets his puffer fish. It also looks like Owen had a fun birthday! Tell him happy birthday.

Lindsay Riggs said...

Wow, you went all out for the party! Looks like it was tons of fun! It is so hilarious and random that Owen is obsessed with puffer fish of all things!

Malissa said...

That looks So fun!! I'm sure he loved his puffer party! We go to that park on thursday mornings with some ward girls- you should come! How long are you in town for?

Katie said...

That is so funny and cute about his obsession! Your mom did you fantastic job on that puffer cake! What a great party! You look really great too btw!

Aric and Sally said...

Wow, I learned more about puffer fish from your blog than I ever would have researching in the library! Glad Owen had a great birthday - looks like fun.

Becky said...

WOW! i love this post! what a FUN obsession and what an even more fun that you encouraged it! You are too cute! i LOVE his party! you are the best party girl around! I thought your catipillar eating one was great...this one ROCKS! :) So much fun!

Anonymous said...

K that looks like the cutest little party ever. Marla needs to be a professional cake decorator...holy cow, that cake is awesome! The pinata is so cool, and I LOVE all the funny games you came up with. You guys did good, I bet Owen was in puffer heaven.

Cher said...

So fun. I don't know what it is about kids and their obsessions but it makes life fun...I guess:). Owen's birthday party kicked Jocey's party by 100 miles, it looks like Owen had so much fun.

Shane Meredith Mason and Kendall said...

ok that is SOOO funny!And way to go on the party! You are good...
cute pictures :)

Sarah's Nonsense said...

That's awesome! I'll have to get Chandler to check out those puffer fish videos. He'll think they are so cool.

I'm surprised that he wasn't a puffer fish for Halloween!

Sarah's Nonsense said...

Hey! I don't have your email so I'm jumping on here to answer your question....Elizabeth Swann is from Pirates of the Caribean. I all of a sudden forgot how to spell that and I'm way too lazy to look it up...

sara said...

GASP!!! I love it ALL Shauna!! So cute! He had to of been in heaven at his party!! And props to your mom w/ the cake!! W O W!!! And all the games!! So much fun!

KatieJ said...

That is the cutest most creative birthday ever! That cracks me up that he is obsessed with puffer fish of all things!

Ginger John said...

Hands down the best mommy ever! Look at all the cool stuff you did for his bday. If it was my kid I would have been trying to talk him into Spiderman or Cars or somehthing easy! You rock. :)