Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Jason's Little Miracle - Updated

In the words of my brother, Jason, who is on month 3 of his Knoxville Tennessee Mission:

first things first, i got my bike stolen on thursday. we locked our bikes to a street sign (7 feet tall but missing the top). we figured we wouldn't be away long enough for anyone to slide them off the top. we were wrong. so when we were walking back to where we left them all we saw laying next to the pole was 2 helmets, missing their bikes. what an awful awful feeling it is to see your beloved bike is gone and that it would be a long walk home. i was in denial for a while and thought someone was just messing with us. so i kept laughing and saying "they are just joking i know it, i'm sure it's just hiding behind this bush" i said that as we walked past each bush bigger than a bike. we then walked past an old decaying house. i thought for sure it would be hiding in there. it wasn't. so we went to this man's house who we taught first thing that day and asked to use his phone. he was very generous and gave us a ride back to our apartment. he wasn't very happy about our stolen bikes either. then that night as we were planning for the next day i looked up at elder neary and i said without a trace of humor in my voice "we are going to find our bikes tomorrow." i wasn't joking. the spirit spoke to me giving me a sense of peace and i knew we would find our bikes the next day. that night we called our district leader, who lives about 30 minutes away, and he said "what? that's awful, we are coming up tomorrow to help you in your time of need." what a good man. so they came up and we had a search party. we were just out of the door of our apartment when i ran back inside to grab our bike rack that is made for cars. and said we were going to need it today. we filed a police report and even stopped by a couple pawn shops to see if anyone tried to make a quick buck with them. then one of the elders from rockwood suggested we go back to the scene of the crime and as we drove past that old decaying house i spied some handlebars just barely visible above the window sill. we ran over to the house and saw our bikes laying there still locked together. the Lord is on our side and that's a fact. we left the thieves a note on a finding faith in Christ pass along card that said thanks for watching our bikes and that we forgive them. i would love to see their faces as they went back to recover their loot.

Jason sent these pics to my mom a couple weeks later...


I was mourning over my stolen bike and it depressed me to see the empty space where my bike should be, so I drew my bike on the bike box to fill the vacancy in our aartments. It did not however fill the vacancy in my heart.


The old decaying house where our bikes were recovered. I'm so grateful that all crooks are complete idiots, because it made getting our bikes back a lot easier.

After our glorious reunion with our bikes. Isn't she a beauty? what a beautiful bike to match such a beautiful missionary.

3 comments:

McDonald Army Brats*** said...

that is awesome! I love stories like that. ps. totally love your new look for the blog. makes me want to try something new as well. I am tired of my spots on my page polka dots or whatever!

Becky said...

That is so funny! And what a cool story! I miss having a missionary brother! the stories are so fun to hear! :) Thanks for sharing!

stephanie said...

that is a good story. it reminds me of the time when mike had his mission car stolen. silly missionaries.

your new blog looks great, by the way!