Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Birthday Traditions

It's naptime and I should be spending my free time preparing for Drew's party but I keep getting distracted! So I was wondering what birthday traditions you have that I can steal? We have a few...

The Birthday CD is my favorite. I made it for Owen's 1st Birthday Party. And now we listen to it whenever there's a birthday in the house.
It has:
"You Say It's Your Birthday" by The Beatles (of course)
"Happy Birthday To You" by Stevie Wonder (my favorite)
Some cool jazzy version of the birthday song
A crazy clown/kid version of the song (that's actually kind of creepy)
A different kid birthday song
"It's My Party and I'll Cry if I want To."

I wanted to use 50 Cent's "It's Your Birthday" but didn't think the kids should "sip Bacardi like it's your birthday."

Another tradition I just decided is that from now on they can decorate their own birthday cakes. Owen loved doing that last year and it was fun (versus stressful).

When I was growing up we got to pick what we wanted to eat all 3 meals; when we had an odd-numbered birthday we went out to dinner with my dad; for even birthdays we got a party (had to ration the parties with 8 kids); and last but not least we got to drink out of the birthday cup! It was a glass cup that had Peanuts (Charlie Brown) pictures all over it. I think it was some McDonald's collectible. But of course it's broken now. I think that might be why I'm obsessed with glass cups now... cause we always had to use the Tupperware ones (burnt orange and pea green) and the GLASS one was for birthdays!

2 comments:

KatieJ said...

What a sweetie! We only got "real" parties on certain birthdays too- we got to choose our 3 meals, and eat with the RED plate. Now we have a "Queen for the Day" Mary Engelbreit plate for the girls, and a red plate for Sam. I like your birthday CD idea- I want one!

Becky said...

Hey! Those are great ideas! I want a birthday CD too! how much do you charge?