Friday, January 19, 2007

Spilled Milk


Lara, Max's mom, gave me a copy of Marjorie Pay Hinckley's book, "Small and Simple Things" before they moved last Sunday. I've been reading it this week and that lady is so cool! I love that she says, "don't be a whiner." Usually my free second to read comes in the bathroom (sorry if that's too much info). But I'll come out all positive and ready to go! One quote I especially like is, "Find joy in your children. Don't overschedule them or yourself. You may not be able to take them on exotic vacations. It doesn't matter. When the day dawns bright and sunny, take an excursion to the canyon or the park. When it's cloudy and wet, read a book together or make something good to eat. Give them time to explore and learn about the feel of grass and the wiggliness of worms." Yesterday I got done blow-drying my hair to find Owen had dumped milk all over his Hungry, Hungry Hippos game. I freaked out. I'm pretty sure Sis Hinckley wouldn't have done that. I need to read the book a few more times...

2 comments:

KatieJ said...

I need to read that book bad- today I went a little crazy about the kids leaving lids off my brand new dry erase markers...

Steph said...

I loved her book too! Maybe I need to bring it out again. Oh, and it was totally a "bathroom read" for me too. I try to live be the whole "Don't overschedule them or yourself." Thanks for the reassurance that it's okay to not "keep up with the Jones'" in the sense of trying to do everything :)