Tuesday, January 23, 2007

The New Black

I love soup when it's cold outside and this is my current favorite. Minus the sour cream, of course. I ate it for the first time in November when my mom made it. Then was excited when Tisha had made it here for New Year's Eve. Yum.

White Chili


3 (14oz) cans white beans (drained)
1 can garbanzo beans (drained)
2 cups shredded, cooked chicken breasts (I grilled mine on George Foreman)
1 tablespoon olive oil
4 garlic cloves, minced
1 medium onion, chopped
2 (4oz) cans chopped mild green chilies
2 teaspoons ground cumin
¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
1½ teaspoons dried oregano, crumbled
6 cups chicken broth
3 cups grated Monterey jack cheese

sour cream

Drain beans and rinse well. Place chicken in heavy large saucepan. Add cold water to cover and bring to simmer. Cook until tender. Drain and cool. Shred chicken or cut into cubes. Heat oil in same pot over medium-high heat. Add onions and sauté until translucent, about 10 minutes. Stir in garlic, then chilies, cumin, oregano and cayenne pepper and sauté 2 minutes. Add beans, chicken and broth and bring to a boil. At this point it can be refrigerated. If you want to make a day ahead as the flavors go through it. Next day, bring to a simmer and add cheese. Stir until cheese melts. Serve w/ sour cream.

2 comments:

KatieJ said...

Oh yum- this sounds so good! Can I put it on my recipe website? I haven't updated it in a while and I need to get the bread pudding one on there too. Are the white beans Great Northern? or white kidney beans?

McDonald Army Brats*** said...

Ooh I think this looks good too. I am going to try it tonight. It is still cold enough!